Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Oh Come ON, Wikipedia

Oh no.



"I've removed Dobby from Harry Potter from the list of "magical negroes". The character was a computer animated elf, not a black human, and the only reference for this claim was a message board post written in French. You might as well call Jar-Jar Binks a magical negro."


I'm sure this was the most sensitive way they could phrase this, of course.

Is this a valid literary term? I have never heard of this before, and while I know that wikipedia has practical space limitations on the names of articles, I wonder if the person who made this was trying to be funny, or just was oblivious.

1 comment:

RC said...

We actually had to do a project on "magical negroes" in senior year, so they definitely exist. They're just as described in the article. Examples of magical negroes include: Magic Johnson, Barack Obama, Morpheus, Your Mother